Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Isaiah 6: 1-7

1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.


This chapter of Isaiah has been so huge to me. How do I write about “and the train of His robe filled the temple”. As I have pondered this while I was away on vacation, those descriptive words took on a life of their own in my spirit. I don’t think we (and I include myself each time I use the word “we”) can ever understand while we are here on planet earth the full Majesty and Awe that Isaiah is trying to explain.

A number of years ago I was in England and was able to stand outside of Buckingham Palace, staying long enough to see the changing of the guards. It is an event filled pomp and circumstance in the fullest sense of the word. In that one moment I believe I understood just a bit of what the word “Majesty” is all about.
“Majesty: regal, lofty, or stately dignity; imposing character; grandeur, supreme greatness or authority; sovereignty: (usually initial capital letter ) a title used when speaking of or to a sovereign. Christ in Majesty, a representation of Christ as ruler of the universe.” ( From Dictionary.com )


These few verses have spoken so deep to my spirit, as it has helped me begin to take a different perspective of His greatness. You see as the week went on I seemed to have this feeling of great agitation that I could not explain. It was starting to wreak havoc on my much needed tropical vacation. And it wasn’t until Wednesday evening that I understood why I was in such a funk, I was seeing myself just as Isaiah did when he said in verse 5:

5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

I too felt the need to lie prostate before the King Eternal and admit my sinful human state, as in my spirit I saw Him afresh as King, all powerful, full of awe and wonder. God spoke so clearly to me that He himself had atoned for those sins, and that I as His daughter can approach the very Throne of Grace just as Isaiah had after his lips were touched with the live coal. For after that Isaiah was pure before God and was sent forth as an instrument of His will.

6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

How I praise Him for taking me through this process, even for the agitation I felt as I came to realize just who I am; a sinner, standing before the King Eternal oh how thankful I am that my sins have been atoned for, not from a live burning coal, but by the gift of Jesus who took my place on the cross. Praise Him!

1 comment: