Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Love Sentences That Start with "But God"

And here it was in my reading this morning in II Corinthians 7: 6&7a
"6 But God, who encourages those who are discouraged, encouraged us by the arrival of Titus. 7 His presence was a joy"

What an amazing statement, God encourages us when we are discouraged. And he does it by sending someone our way. Titus' visit brought joy to Paul as he heard the report from the people of Corinth. Paul's letter had been harsh and difficult for them to hear, they had to be rebuked for the mess they were causing. The letter brought repentance, but it also brought a bit of discouragement as they looked at their lives and realized just how sinful they had become. Titus had been sent to them and now comes back to Paul with a glowing report how they were turning their lives back to God.
God in his tender mercy brought Paul, Titus who encouraged him and filled him with joy.

I've had several times in my life when someone has come my way who has lifted my spirits. Who has given me encouragement. Sometimes it's been a dear friend, one of my children and sometimes it's just the sweet smile of one of my grandchildren. To think that this comes from God himself, that my LORD longs to send me encouragement when I am discouraged now give me a new perspective. I will trade my narrow view of this journey for His any day when He reveals precious nuggets like this to my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Sue
    You are a source of wisdom to me... and a "Titus"- I thank God for that and I'm enjoying reading your thoughts and your journey
    Thanks for being a friend

    ReplyDelete