Monday, August 24, 2009

Running the Race

I am not a big fan of running. I'm a good 50 yard dash person, but have never been an endurance runner. I think this also speaks loudly of my personality. I am very good at getting out there and giving it my all if I know the light at the end of the tunnel can be seen brilliantly. Endurance is just not on my list of traits. But it is one God is working out in me.
I always thought those 50 yards dashes were a flaw. Why couldn't I run a mile, 5 miles, 26 miles (ugh) As Christians, our salvation experience is only good for 50 yard dashes. Training is what it takes to run a 26 mile marathon. No 30 minutes on a tread mill (ok, I can really only do 15 before I feel the need to quit) will ever get me to the place where I can run one. If all your doing is going to church on Sunday and not "training" everyday, in the word, at His feet, in prayer the race He wants to call you to can never be run.
About 4 years ago, God pointed out that I had a race to run. Galatians 2: 2b reminded me today that I don't want to run in vain or run the wrong race. Gal 2 "I wanted to make sure that we were in agreement, for fear that all my efforts had been wasted and I was running the race for nothing" Running in and of itself does nothing for me. Running with purpose or for a purpose does. I'm a big "give me a reason" kinda gal. And God gives me plenty of reasons in his word to Run for Him. I may still run a few 50 yard dashes now and again, (some of them have a purpose). But I am in this to run with endurance the Race he has mapped out for me. Will you join me? Run the race, train beside me, there's definitely room at His feet for both of us.

1 comment:

  1. How appropriate was this for me this morning you will never know. I've been so stuck in my head trying to plan out projects of spiritual importance and self-fulfillment...and the picture is too big that it gets overwhleming.
    I finally had to talk myself out of this today...baby steps...one little bite at a time. It's hard to train yourself to be happy with a little progress daily when time seems limited and were so used to immediate gratification. The race is long...we need to pace ourselves. Thank you for your encouragement to endure.

    ReplyDelete